Name:

Wrecsam Triathlon Club Committee Meeting

Year / Meeting No:

2013 - Meeting No. 05

Venue:

Griffin Pub, Gresford, Wrexham

Date:

18th Nov 2013

19:00 – 21:30

Attendees:

Julian Hunter

President

JH

 

Iori Jones

Chairman

IJ

 

Jon Williams

Club Captain

JW

 

Gill Wood

Club Treasurer

GW

 

Aline Briffa

Social Members Representation

AB

 

Peter Ellis

Club Secretary

PE

 

Tim Burnett

Membership Secretary

TB

Apologies

Kenny Hughes

Club Elected

KH

 

Paul Evans

Publicity

PEv

 

Chris Smith

Senior Coach (Run)

CS

 

Kim Norman

Race Organiser

KN

 

Claire Ballamy

Race Organiser

CB

 

Shaun O Keefe

Club Kit Management

SOK

Additional Attendees:

     
         

Meeting declared as quorum.

AGENDA / NOTES

1

Agenda

 

1.1

Approve minutes from the previous meeting.

All

1.2

Bala events– future?

All

1.3

2014 Event preparation – update from organisation teams.

  1. Chirk
  2. Bala Middle and Bala Standard
  3. Swimming (TB)
  4. Run Sessions (CS)
  5. Biking (SOK/PE)

JH

1.4

Club accounts – concerns arising.

GW

1.5

Race marshal / helper payments.

PE

1.6

Training / Social attendance over past period

TB/CS/PE/SOK

1.7

Welsh Triathlon enquiry – active club coaches.

PE

1.8

Club kit

SOK

1.9

Agree AGM date.

PE

1.10

AOB.

 

2

Salient points of interest

 

2.1

The future of Bala events beyond September 2014 was discussed openly by the committee. The committee agreed that it was keen to find away to take over the running of the events from JH and existing helpers.

PE asked JH to confirm what level of capacity he would want to retain beyond 2014. JH advised that he would prefer to have none.

JH proposed that the committee should present him a list of nominations. PE advised that it would be highly unlikely that one individual would be willing to take on the JH role in its full entirety due to the scale of both the responsibility and accountability involved in organising the events. Committee agreed with comment.

PE intimated that it would be more feasible to develop a structure where by a group of individuals with pre-defined roles and responsibilities would organise and manage the events. JH advised that most of the structure was in place. This was agreed by the committee. GW advised that an individual would still be required to be accountable for the overall safety of the events. This point was acknowledged by PE who advised that such a position would be retained but not in the capacity currently held by JH.

PE asked JH to consider developing a high level organisation chart that detailed the roles & tasks associated with organising the Bala events. Examples below:-

  • Safety – Overall events
  • Safety – Risk assessment / individual course safety officers (Swim, bike, run).
  • Communication – Managing entries etc
  • Public relations – Community support / managing council
  • Resource Management – Event equipment (Signage, Raynet, St John’s)
  • Resource Management – Marshal and helpers

PE suggested that in future we as a committee should consider inviting other club members outside the committee the opportunity to get more involved in organising the events. PE suggested it could be a possible AGM agenda item.

All

2.2

Update from event organisation teams:-

Chirk – KN reported that the online entry service opened on the 17th November and filled up in 80 minutes. This is fantastic news and demonstrates the reputation of the event. Congratulations to the organisation team!

KN raised question about marshal / helper payments. Refer to item 2.4.

Bala Middle – entries opened in October 2013. JH reported 80 entries to date. This is positive position to be at this time of the year. Well done to the organisation team.

Bala Standard – Preparation continues.  

 

2.3

Club accounts

GW advised that the club account was healthy but still held over £5k in club kit. JH advised that SOK has continued to push sales but felt we needed to look at other ways to reduce stocks.

GW asked the committee to consider agreeing on payment of club coaches. To be discussed at next meeting.

 

2.4

Payment to event marshals and helpers. KN requested the committee to consider lowering the amount of money the event teams pay their marshals and helpers as a means of controlling costs. KN proposed several valid alternatives to reward individuals for their time and effort. Proposed alternatives:-

  • Lower hourly rate
  • One off £10 payment for a minimum of 4 hours support
  • No payment – replace with end of year club party
  • Goody bag and food voucher – no payment

AB advised that hosting an end of year party would not necessarily reward the wider population of individuals that devoted time to the events. JH advised that at his discretion, he has supported requests from marshal / helpers for additional expenses (travel cost) to ensure individuals continue to be present at the events.  

JH acknowledged that the challenge of managing the marshal / helper element of the race budget was difficult. JH felt it should be up to the race organisation team to decide on how to:

  • manage costs associated with recognising marshal / helper assistance
  • Assure themselves that such initiative schemes attracted the right amount of people required to deliver a safe event.

PEv advised that Bala would not run if it wasn’t for the payment scheme in place. JH advised that he had no intention of changing the Bala event policy.

All

2.5

Training – No coaches present at this meeting.

Social events – PE advised that orienteering event would be promoted via club email this week in addition to 12 Days of Christmas schedule.

 

2.6

Welsh Triathlon – Active coaches. WTA have requested WTC to confirm names of active coaches and their qualification level.

JH advised that it is paramount that all coaches are members of the BTF / WTA.

 

2.7

Club kit. SOK not present but GW communicated that there was still £5k of old kit still in stock. Positive feedback from members on quality of new kit. No further discussion.

 

2.8

Proposed agenda for AGM was presented by PE. JH asked reason why 9bar sponsorship was listed. PE advised it was only to advise members of the benefits in place when purchasing new club kit.

JH advised that as a decision on marshal & helper payment had been concluded, that item should be removed from agenda.

Regarding posts due for re-election, both Tim Burnett and Iori Jones formally advised the committee that they plan to stand down from the positions. The committee took the time to thank both individuals for their support to the club since being elected.

 

2.9

AOB

  • IJ communicated that a young paraplegic athlete from Wrexham had contacted the club enquiring on whether he could join club training sessions. Individual is known by PEv. PEv explained to the committee the extent of his disabilities. JH advised that the club could put him in contact with a full time coach at Buckley Leisure Centre for who may be able to assist with his enquiry.
  • Refreshments for AGM. GW requested that members are notified in advance to what will be supported by the club. It was agreed that drinks will be supported.
 

3

Actions – Outstanding

Resp

3.1

CTT membership form to be signed and returned to CTT. PE has located form.

PE

3.2

On behalf of club members, club is to log an official complaint with Wrexham Council regarding the cleanliness of Gwyn Evans pool. Response received 18.11.13. See attachment.

JB

3.3

Club kit ordering process to be defined via forum communication.

SOK

3.4

Email to be sent to all club members informing them that the forum will be utilised to communicate club activities.

PE

4

Actions – New from Meeting 5

Resp

4.1

AGM agenda to be communicated to club members via forum / email (15th December 2013 @ Llandegla Visitors Centre).

PE

4.2

Population of a Roles and responsibility organisation chart.

JH

4.3

Notify WTC of active club coaches.

PE

4.4

Orienteering event and 12 days of Christmas schedule to be emailed to club members.

PE

4.5

Email to be sent to all club members informing them that the forum will be utilised to communicate club activities.

PE

4.6

Respond to paraplegic enquiry.

PEv

4.7

Enquire on whether Llandegla are able to provide flasks of tea and coffee in place of members having to queue in cafe.

CB

     
 

Next meeting: Monday 9th December 2013 @ Griffin Pub, Gresford 7.00pm to 8.00pm. PE is unable to attend. Chair to be communicated prior to meeting.